8:40 avg pace <– that’s 5 sec/mile BELOW my goal marathon pace!
Heeeellllloooo, taper! I welcome you with open arms! If you’re thinking why the hell would I run below GMP, see here. I hadn’t planned on it actually, just wanted to run close to GMP and end on a good note.
Instead of boring you with 22 split times, I’ll include some random thoughts about today’s run. Please note I’m on a crazy endorphin high right now so I hope this makes sense.
- I definitely think a 3:50 is within my reach.
- I treated this run like race day. I started out running 9:00 pace and gradually decreased the pace from there.
- I felt really good at Mile 13 so I picked up the pace and wondered how long I could hold it for. I made it to Mile 22 🙂
- I was tired at the end but still had gas in the tank.
- I definitely improved my mental game this training cycle….mind over matter means more to me than you can even imagine!
- I thought about Boston a lot during this run. For Boston 2012, I will be 35 years old…meaning (for 2012 ONLY) I could qualify with a 3:45. Could it be a possibility? What if…? I didn’t train to BQ in May but it’s very tempting to have it so close within my reach. At least temporarily. Once 2013 comes, it’s back to 3:40.
- I loved every second of this run. I hope after 3 weeks of taper I can repeat this come May 1.
I came home and immediately devoured chocolate milk and foam rolled.
I want to give a huge shout out to my sister-in-law, Desiree, who ran her first 5K today!!! She totally rocked it, like I knew she would, and I think she’s been bitten by the running bug!
WOOO HOOOO!!! awesome run!!! I am so excited for you! way to go! enjoy the taper…you are going to ROCK out in your marathon 🙂 have a GREAT saturday
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food says
congrats on your run that’s wonderful!
I’m sure that you’re going to smash your goal! 🙂
I made the blog! Thanks for the shout out and for all of the support and running tips. Your enthusiasm is infectious!
I love Hawk! He’s so cute!
NICE job on the long run. You are SO ready for your marathon!
Whoa! Congrats on your huge long run! I think you are going to smash that 3:50 by WAY more than you can even expect. I can’t wait to read your excited 3:3x:xx post….. 🙂
Tessa at Amazing Asset says
Wow awesome job girl! I can’t even imagine running 22 miles, let alone a marathon! I am going to get up there one day though 🙂
Wow – 5 seconds below goal pace and you felt great? You are going to have a fantastic marathon!! Yay for great runs! I say, go for the BQ!!!
Congratulations!! That’s such a strong run!! And a great way to finish up the hard part of the training cycle and enter into the taper phase. Just from reading this, I’d say that BQ is well within your reach! I mean, if you started slow and then finished fast enough to average an 8:40 pace, and still had gas in the tank, that’s a very good sign! 🙂
And I love the pictures of Hawk “helping” you foam roll. Too cute.
You are my hero for that pace! I bet you BQ 🙂