17 miles / 2:46 / 9:46 avg pace
5:15AM start time temp – feels like 88 degrees
8:00AM finish time temp – feels like 98 degrees
Humidity 0, Kristy 1
I’m calling Operation Hydration a success! I feel great! Dang it was hot though. Definitely the most oppressive conditions I ever ran in. Some thoughts…
- Eating salt (yes, straight salt) was a lifesaver today. I noticed an immediate improvement vs. 2 weeks ago. I really believe it’s why I feel so good right now – no headache, no nausea, no quad soreness. Note: white, powdery-looking substance in a baggie that you eat with your pinky and then stash in your sports bra looks super shady.
- I also drank Gatorade and I think that helped too, but to a lesser extent than the salt.
- My shorts were completely soaked by mile 7!
- I noticed a sloshing sound in my shoes around mile 10 and realized it was sweat. So. Gross.
- Thank god for a canopy of shade once the sun came up. This was also a lifesaver. The sun would have done me in for sure.
- Although my pace was slow, I’m amazed that my body was able to run 17 miles! I was supposed to run 18 but reached my car at 17 and decided to screw the last mile.
A hot mess picture. There wasn’t 1 inch of me that was dry.
Have a good weekend! Stay cool!