In 30 days I’ll be running marathon #9, trying to qualify for Boston. I’m in a much better place right now then I was for the NJ Marathon. I’m training for an actual BQ time, instead of just trying to wing it. In hindsight (it’s always 20/20) I should have never tried for a 3:45 at NJM. I trained for a 3:50 and I should have stuck with the plan. Always stick with the plan!
If I could come up with a race day wish list (key word being wish, not magic) here’s what I would request:
1. Obviously, perfect weather. For me, that’s overcast skies with temps in the high 40s/low 50s. Or, for September, I’d be happy with no humidity 🙂
2. An 8:34 pace will feel just as easy at mile 23 as it does at mile 5.
3. I have no dehydration issues and resulting quad cramps.
4. No phantom chafing! You know…the kind that never happens on a training run but rears its ugly head on race day?!
5. I look photogenic in a race day picture. Hey, this is my wish list…
6. And the big one – I cross the finish line with the biggest smile on my face because I am finally a Boston Qualifier!
What are some things on your race day wish list? What do you consider “ideal” race day weather?