In 30 days I’ll be running marathon #9, trying to qualify for Boston. I’m in a much better place right now then I was for the NJ Marathon. I’m training for an actual BQ time, instead of just trying to wing it. In hindsight (it’s always 20/20) I should have never tried for a 3:45 at NJM. I trained for a 3:50 and I should have stuck with the plan. Always stick with the plan!
If I could come up with a race day wish list (key word being wish, not magic) here’s what I would request:
1. Obviously, perfect weather. For me, that’s overcast skies with temps in the high 40s/low 50s. Or, for September, I’d be happy with no humidity 🙂
2. An 8:34 pace will feel just as easy at mile 23 as it does at mile 5.
3. I have no dehydration issues and resulting quad cramps.
4. No phantom chafing! You know…the kind that never happens on a training run but rears its ugly head on race day?!
5. I look photogenic in a race day picture. Hey, this is my wish list…
6. And the big one – I cross the finish line with the biggest smile on my face because I am finally a Boston Qualifier!
What are some things on your race day wish list? What do you consider “ideal” race day weather?
No chafing is big on my wish list, as well as no GI issues! Ideal race day weather is 50 degrees with clear skies and no wind!
I think you’re gonna get it this time 🙂
Beth (@bethp262) says
I also love 40-50 degree weather. But that will be a stretch in September. Actually this morning was lovely running weather here in the Lehigh Valley, so hope you get a day like today for race day.
And if your race photos are not as good as you like, who cares because you ARE going to BQ and that is worth a crappy picture any day!!!
love that a good race day pic is on your list. cute.
i’m excited for you. it seems that you’ve really trained well for this one. i am pulling for you – go get that BQ!!!!!!!
I like cooler weather too – probably around the mid-50s is good for me. The morning weather over near me has been ideal lately – great motivation for getting up extra early to log a few miles!
And I like your wish list…keep up all the training, you’ll be great!
Good luck! I am sooo excited for you. LIke i have said you always have a place to stay if you do qualify!! Hmm ideal race weather not the rain that is supposed to happen at my race on Sunday. 50s and blue skies are nice. Ideal race – no pain, running with a smile!
I woud like all of those things too! Add in: no GI issues whatsoever and plentiful pre-race porto-johns. I would say about 50 degrees and cloudy is perfection for me!