8 miles easy / 1:14 / 9:15 avg pace (little too fast for an easy run)
I was thrilled when Kara Goucher came out with a running book. I’m a huge fan was hoping the book would share some of her training tips. But then again why would she share them? She’s got lots of competition and training is probably kept hush hush. Her blog doesn’t even reveal that much.
Anyway, I knew the book was geared towards beginners but I bought it anyway and read it on the way home from Ireland. Hmmmm. Well…let’s start positive with what I actually liked.
* I think if you are a beginner you can definitely benefit from this book. She does have all the classic running tips listed out and easy to read.
* I did like when she shared some of her personal stories: emotional eating and subsequent weight gain while she was injured and her decision about when to get pregnant. It made her seem…human! I won’t say anymore because I don’t want to give anything away.
* I did like her advice on running while pregnant (she did dispel some myths).
What I didn’t like…
* The Q&A sections. I swear they were written by my 16-year-old niece (no offense, Catherine). I like a cute boy in my running club, what should I do? Should I wear make-up when I run? I’m paraphrasing of course, but I felt like I was 16 again, reading Seventeen magazine! I could do without the make-up tips.
* Like I said before, I wished she would have shared more personal stories.
Overall, I give it 2.5 out of 5. And I’m still a Kara Goucher fan 🙂
I’m reading Born To Run now and so far, so good. I’m really amazed that I like it as much as I do.
Did you read Kara’s book? What did you think?