I could bore you with the details of my “fun runs” or I could talk about something very important – running safely. I’m not talking about injuries; I’m talking about ways to be safe when running alone. My intention is not to scare…just to make you think.
So you’re thinking I’m completely paranoid and crazy?! You may be right but I feel preparation is your best weapon. Let me explain where I’m coming from. My dad is retired cop so I grew up thinking about “what ifs” and how I would handle tricky situations. It’s engrained in me.
- Carry mace. Or at least carry your cell phone. I find mace to be more effective I found one online that you can attach to your shorts and I never know it’s there. Call me crazy (again) but I feel so much more at ease carrying it. And no, I thankfully never had to use it.
- Mix up your routine. If you always run the same route on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, change things up a bit. You don’t want to be too predictable.
- Run with a friend or a dog. Or if you run alone, make sure someone knows where you are running just in case something happens.
- Don’t wear your iPod. I only wear my iPod on weekends, when there are usually lots of runners out.
- Be aware. This is so hard to do when you are zoning out on a run. I’m always looking around and listening to what’s going on around me.
- Don’t second guess. If you feel that someone is suspicious, DON’T think you are being paranoid. Turn around. I have done this before. It’s better to just avoid the suspicious person all together.
Sorry for the frightening post but this is so important!
Do you have any other tips? Does anyone else think about this stuff?