a good year

Happy New Year, folks!

I am thoroughly enjoying my time off and perfecting my “lady who lunches” routine.  Next Wednesday is going to be cruel and painful.

First things first – RTLR turned 2 this week!  For those of you who have been reading from the beginning – (1) kudos, (2) thank you, and (3) you deserve a tall cup of coffee or a stiff drink (your choice).

I wouldn’t be a proper blogger if I didn’t reflect back on 2012 (in terms of running, of course).  If I could sum it up in one word?  WOW.

What could be better than kicking off the year with the Boston Marathon?!   90 degrees or not, it was an amazing ‘experience’ (due to the heat, the B.A.A. refused to call it a race but instead an ‘experience’).

finish_race photo
this picture says it all…

My Christmas ornament from Matt this year…

IMG_0696

After Boston, I ran my first “ultra” (50K) and discovered that running on grass isn’t as fun as it was when you were a kid.  But…ultras ARE fun!

DSCN4004

After that came a 5K, 2 HMs, and the Rehoboth Beach Marathon – all PRs (thank you, ultra training).  Some were surprise PRs and others (err, RBM) were I-could-have-done-better-PRs.

I also learned some things along the way:  (1) when in a rut, run an ultra and (2) drop waaay back on mileage during drop back weeks.  In the past I don’t think I was cutting my mileage back enough to really absorb the benefits of my training.

Your turn to brag!  Tell me about your best (or favorite) 2012 race or maybe something you learned about running in 2012?

Comments

Hmm – that running doesn’t have to be about marathons! And, in the end, that I could enjoy a marathon. I think I became more accepting of whatever came my way in terms of running this year.

Fave Races = Eugene 5K, Richmond Marathon

Happy New Year!
    Meggie recently posted…Embracing UncertaintyMy Profile

Congratulations on a fantastic year! Like you, I got to have the ultra experience this year as well and find it has changed me for the better. I didn’t know what I was capable of, and now, well, I know the sky’s the limit!

Cheers to an equally fantastic 2013!
    Lisa recently posted…Cutting it closeMy Profile

I think you had a great 2012 in running! You ran Boston, a marathon PR, an ultra, a half PR… that’s pretty freaking badass if you ask me :) And you had fun doing it too. My favorite running moment/race was definitely the Philly Marathon – so fun! And the most important thing I learned is how great is can be to have a Coach! Hope you had a great Christmas, lady!
    Kelly recently posted…last day, tree spottingMy Profile

Happy Blogiversary! You had a fantastic year!
    My favorite race this year was my ultra! I learned that I love to run long and not worry about pace! :)

Happy birthday RTLR! Your hubby is just amazing with those ornaments. Truly, I am impressed. What a crazy year! I would like to think I learned to listen to my body a little better this year – actually taking time off immediately when something feels wrong instead of pushing it until it’s much worse – time will tell if I actually did learn that lesson!
    Alyssa recently posted…Christmas Break PrioritiesMy Profile

You had a fantastic year! My best race was the Detroit Half, but probably the best thing that happened to me was to learn that injury is not the end of the world. Well, it was either that or hiring my coach….Happy New Year!
    Terzah recently posted…Plans for 2013My Profile