Live Greater

It’s race week!

My 50K is Sunday and I’m more excited for this than anything…

image
payback for a hot Boston Marathon

My legs feel fresh and my mental state is sound with only minor fits of taper crazies.

My list of items to pack is made and I’ve been prepping Matt about what he’ll need to do for 5+ hours.  He’s a lucky guy.

I’m excited at the prospect of running further than I ever have before.  I feel silly calling it an “ultra” even though it technically is.  In my mind (and from what I’ve heard) real “ultras” are 50-milers and beyond.

I’m not discounting the toughness of those last 5 miles (more like 5+ miles, since the course historically measures long).  No matter how many marathons I run, I’m constantly humbled by how far 26.2 miles really is.

I have some new inspiration though, something to repeat when the going gets tough…”live greater”.

I have mentioned numerous times how much I love my college, St. Joseph’s University.  Love may not even be a strong enough word.  Obsessed?

Anyway, SJU launched their “live greater” campaign – during the Olympics no less – and the commercials are brilliant.

I love the title — “When Good Enough Simply Isn’t”

I have never been more proud to be a SJU alum.

To an outsider the commercial may seem cheesy and a little Brady Bunch-esque but it’s an accurate representation of my 4 years there.

So now I have the prefect mantra to help propel me during those last 5 miles.

See you on the other side, folks!

Comments

Ya I was pretty bummed after my first 50K to find out that serious ultra runners didn’t consider that to be an ultra, but whatever, they can suck it, marathon +5 = ultra in my book. You lucked out with that weather. Enjoy the race, I can’t wait to hear about it!
    Alyssa recently posted…Fatty McFatpantsMy Profile

So excited for you!! And glad the weather looks good!
    Will be thinking about you and sending good running vibes your way!

And 50k is a real ultra.

I can’t believe it’s here….it almost feels like you just ran Boston yesterday :) Good luck and I can’t wait to hear all about it! And don’t knock the distance – it’s definitely an ultra in my book.

Love the SJU connection and video – go Hawks!
    Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen recently posted…5 for FridayMy Profile

Wow, it’s here! I’m very excited for you. Just enjoy every step and that awesome forecast (which hopefully will come true!) and write a nice detailed report for all who are living vicariously through you!
    Terzah recently posted…Vacation RunningMy Profile

I wish I had school pride for my undergrad and graduate schools! It fazed out a bit after graduating from both. :) I love the statement though. I equally love the TJ PB filled pretzels that you’ve introduced me to! Holy heaven how did I not know about these?! Good luck on your race Sunday!!!

A 50K is an ultra, especially on trails. You spend so much time on your feet compared to a road race!

I can’t wait to read about your race experience, I know you’re going to rock it!
    Kara recently posted…Hanging in thereMy Profile

Comments