Adele on Repeat and Boston Week 9 Recap

One of the many reasons I love barre is the music. I don’t listen to music when I run, so it’s a treat to hear a good playlist when working out. I especially love it when yoga teachers mix it up a bit…using popular music instead of that chant-y yoga stuff.

Since last week’s barre class, Adele has been on repeat in my head. It’s starting to get annoying. You know when you just cannot get a certain song out of your head? Last week it was “Rolling in the Deep”, which is played during class. Then it was “Someone Like You” and now it’s “Rumour Has It”. Rumour has it. (rumour). Rumour has it. (rumour). Over and over. Thankfully, I like Adele.

My taste in music goes from one end of the spectrum to the other.  I was in lululemon over the weekend and heard “Get Busy” by Sean Paul and pretty much had to restrain myself from breaking it down in the store. Oh yeah, you know you love it too.

Some more barre favorites are Bobby Brown’s “My Prerogative” and some old school Britney. Would you believe me if I told you this blog was partially named after Pearl Jam’s song “Long Road”? Yep, one end to the other.

If you run with music, what’s your go-to song? This is a little embarrassing but I love the Black Eyed Peas “I Gotta Feeling” (along with most 3rd graders). It was playing when I crossed the finish line at the Lehigh Valley Marathon (my BQ). Now I have even more reason to love it.

I have to mention my run on Tuesday, since it was definitely a confidence booster.  I’ve been doubting my ability to run 8:20 pace for 26.2 (eeek!).  On Tuesday I ran 11 miles with 10 at MP (8:20).  I felt springy, my breathing was controlled, and my stride effortless.  I felt amazing.  I have 15 miles as my long run this weekend and my goal is to run 12-13 at MP (with hills!).  Maybe, just maybe, I can do this!

Boston Week 9 Recap
MON:  5 easy
TUE:  8 with 5 at (faster than) MP + 3 hill repeats at the end
WED:  barre
THU:  7 with 4 at tempo (2 at 7:45 pace and 2 at 8:00 pace)
FRI:  rest
SAT:  20 at 8:36 pace
SUN:  rest

40 miles total.  A drop back week.  38 days until Boston!

Comments

1. Chrissy says

I have that Black Eyed Peas song on my ipod as well. Have you tried the Glee version of Adele, a mix of Rumour Has It and Someone Like You? It’s awesome for running. I am so glad I run at 5am and no one sees me sing/running. :)

Love the black eyed peas for running music! Also…Eminem, especially “lose yourself” and “shake that”. I know his lyrics are questionable, but the music’s tempo is great for getting into a fast running groove.

I love that BEP song too–it was the first song I heard when I got to the pre-race area when I did Boston! It’s a great get-psyched-up song.
    I rarely listen to music on my runs, though. Once in a while I do if I think the run may be particularly crappy–like if the weather is miserable (cold and wet)–and I really don’t want to get out there. I am bringing music to the ultra and will allow myself the music for the last 10 miles if I want it/need it!

4. Desiree says

Here are a few of my favs -

F**kin’ Perfect, Pink
    You Gotta Be, Des’ree
    Don’t Stop Me Now, Queen
    A Little Less Conversation, Elvis Presley

As you can see, I am also all over the board when it comes to music… this doesn’t even scratch the surface of my Glee obsession!

I used to never run with music but I have started to. I usually sort of tune it out and get in the zone but should I hit a rough patch it is there. Sort of like a safety net :)

One of my new favorites is Starship. I also really like to run to Miley Cyrus’ song. Kinda embarrassing.
    Celia recently posted…how I prepared for the 2012 coogan’s 5kMy Profile

Great job on the speed running! I had Adele in my head this morning (the one about rain). Such a great song! The Glee version of “Sweet Caroline” always gets me pumped. My bf has no idea why since it starts off so slow. I also like Selena Gomez’s new beat too…”I love you like a love song baby..” So addicting.
    Sokphal @ Life as a Classroom recently posted…Redemption RunMy Profile

Kristy, you CAN do it!!!!!! 8:20 for 26.2. You CAN!!!!! I am really excited for you. :)
    I find all of Adele’s songs are earworms. The songs you mentioned get stuck in my head as well, which sadly, has led to me really not liking her any more. Today my earworm is Lady Gaga “Edge of Glory,” which played in my spin class this morning. I ALWAYS have some song stuck in my head!
    Oh man, favorite running music?!?!?! So much! I really like to run to Muse “Starlight,” Britney “Circus,” (the lyrics “I feel the adrenaline moving through my veins” really get me going!) Kings of Leon “Sex on Fire,” Tom Petty “Running Down a Dream,” uhmmm… so many more songs, but sadly it’s been so long since I ran, I can’t think of any more. But I agree that “I’ve Got a Feeling” is a good one… now I’m not so ashamed, since you said you dig it, too. ;) Oh and Ke$ha’s and Rihanna’s music is good to run to, also!
    Katie recently posted…Schadenfreude is alive and well in Katie-land…My Profile

I can’t believe you don’t run with music – I listen to music or a book on tape. I love music and can listen to pretty much anything, but I really hate making playlists and then I found Rock My Run (they used to have free downloads!) and I have a bunch of their playlists :)

Great job on your run, you can totally keep an 8:20 pace at Boston!
    Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen recently posted…I have a planMy Profile

Just found your blog and looking forward to following your journey toward Boston! I’m running it, too…SO excited! You’re in my Google Reader now. :)

I think I love you even more knowing that your blog was partially because of Pearl Jam. I remember all the girls in high school having a crush on Eddie Vedder. Awwwww… I have a playlist from that time era: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP (I love STP)… and I’m big on Weezer and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. The girl I run with on the weekends is going to their concert in May and I’m beyond jealous.

I’m also a huge Adele fan. Love her and her music. Honestly, I’m very eclectic when it comes to music. I love BIGGIE, some Bob Marley(he’s on my playlist often — he makes me feel happy), but then I love music from my dad’s time, Pink Floyd, REO Speedwagon, Supertramp… And I can get down with some Al Green.

Oh, I could go on.

Anyway, looks like you had a killer week. I might have to hire you as my coach… ;o) My goal: To become a faster runner…

XO
    Rachel recently posted…Where in the World?My Profile

I loved Adele at first, but the radio overdid it for me and now I’m over it. My musical taste is quite varied as well – my running playlists will go from Broadway to gangsta rap. I can vouch that most third graders (and me) love I Gotta Feeling. Those confidence booster runs are the best!
    Alyssa recently posted…Rest DaysMy Profile